About the BSSM
Founded in 1964 the British Society for Strain Measurement (BSSM) is a non-profit making scientific, membership organisation focused on promoting the knowledge and application of advanced strain measurement, stress analysis and experimental mechanics techniques. BSSM sits at the interface between industry, academia and the wider engineering community and promotes the dissemination of new techniques and best practice.
In particular BSSM:
- Provides a resource of information and expertise on strain measurement and experimental techniques
- Runs internationally recognised accredited training courses and certification in strain gauge application, strain analysis and stress analysis
- Organises regular seminars and workshops to disseminate the latest developments in strain measurement and experimental mechanics
- Runs an annual International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics
- Offers opportunities for company engagement and promotion to the International experimental mechanics community through Society membership, sponsorship and attendance at EMex, the UK's premier exhibition for manufacturers and suppliers of strain measurement and stress analysis equipment
- Gives support to early career development through the Young Members group, the annual Young Stress Analyst competition, a dedicated Post Graduate conference, and seminars and training that support professional development (CPD).
- Provides international networking, collaboration and a forum for publishing relevant research in the journal Strain, an internationally leading publication in the world of experimental mechanics
The Society has a wide and varied membership made up of individual, student, corporate and educational members in the UK and abroad, and has strong links with our sister organisation the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) in the USA.
History of BSSM
Discover the history of the BSSM, from it's origins in the 60's through to the present day.
Who are we?
Many of our Directors and committee members are leading academics and industrialists with a wide range of technical expertise and experience in strain measurement and experimental mechanics.
Join and get involved
Become a member, join one of our committees, ask an expert or just contact us to find out more.